Friday, November 5, 2010

Roasted Figs and Prosciutto


So in case you haven't heard yet, Ina Garten's new cookbook is pretty flipping awesome.  Never have I gone through a cookbook before and wanted to make every.single.recipe.  I have had the book for just over a week, and I've already made 6 recipes from it.  And I have 3 more on the docket to make in the next few days.  I think I might have a problem.

As I was reading through How Easy is That the first time, I loved the look of these figs, but cried a little inside because figs are pretty much gone around here by this time of year.  However, I saw figs on sale at Fresh Market for $3 a pint the very next day!  Score!  Yes, they were from California and not at all local, but I couldn't help myself.  And hey, at least they weren't flown in from Asia or South America.

Last Friday my neighbor came over for some girl talk and wine, and I told her I'd put together a few appetizers for us to snack on.  I made the baked fontina (OMG) and these figs.  I also put out a fruit salad, but we barely touched it.  I'm actually a big fan of fruit salad, but when I have roasted figs and prosciutto and baked fontina with a baguette in front of me, what do you expect? 

This is one of the easiest appetizers I've ever made.  Cut cut the figs in half, trim the prosciutto into strips, wrap, and bake.  Simple and delicious.  Roasting the figs really brings out their flavor, and the prosciutto crisps up just a big which is nice. I opted to brush with a little honey and olive oil, then top with a crack of black pepper.  I really am not a fan of the word "succulent,"  but that is really the best word I can use to describe these figs (I'm also not a fan of the word moist, while we're on the subject).

People often ask me for appetizer ideas for Italian pasta dinners that aren't bread-y or carb-y, and I think this would be a great option.  I'd love to play around with them even more next time, and maybe add a little goat cheese or blue cheese in there.  Now how bad could that be?


One Year Ago: Moroccan-Spiced Lamb Patties with Peppers and Feta


Roasted Figs & Prosciutto
adapted from Ina Garten, How Easy is That?
  • 20 fresh figs
  • 15-20 slices Italian prosciutto (about 8 ounces)
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 tsp honey
  • black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Snip the hard stems off the figs, and cut in half lengthwise through the stem.  With a small sharp knife, cut the prosciutto lengthwise into inch-wide strips. 

Wrap a slice of prosciutto around the center of each fig half, with the ends overlapping. 

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and honey.  Brush each fig with the mixture, and top with freshly cracked black pepper.

Roast for 10 minutes, or until the prosciutto is a little crisp and the figs are warmed through.  Serve warm.


7 comments:

Kimberly Peterson said...

So easy yet I bet it's absolutely delicious!

Rebecca said...

Oh. Yes. Please.

Unknown said...

very nice, although I am still drolling over baked fontina!

Kelsey said...

Yummy! This recipe was the one that most caught my eye in Ina's new book. Great job!

Eliana said...

you're way ahead of me makin recipes from the book - i need to get with it and get started because these look amazing.

JehanP said...

Yum, wrap anything is salty pork and I'm sold!

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

These look amazing. Gonna link to this fab recipe in my Thanksgiving round up post tomorrow :)

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS