Monday, December 21, 2009

Herb and Goat Cheese Biscotti




It isn't often that I see a recipe and want to try it immediately.  Usually, I will save or star it in my google reader, then come back to it weeks (or even months) later when I'm lacking inspiration.  I saw Giada make this savory biscotti on her show, and in 2 hours I had made it myself.  Pretty much anything with goat cheese or herb de provence will always catch my eye, and in combination with my newfound love for biscotti, I just had to make it right.then.

And it didn't disapoint.  It is crunchy, savory, and so flavorful.  The goat cheese definitely plays a supporting rather than a starrring role.  That belongs to the herbs de provence.  These made a wonderful addition to my holiday gift baskets this year; I figured it might be nice to have something savory to round out all the sweets. 


Savory Biscotti
from Giada de Laurentiis
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons herbes de Provence
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten, at room temperature
Preheat the oven to 350, and position the rack in the middle position.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk together the flour, herbs de Provence, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the goat cheese and butter until smooth.  Beat in the eggs and sugar, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary.  In 3 batches, add the flour and herb mixer, mixing until just combined.

Turn out dough onto the baking sheet.  Using damp hands, shape the dough into a 13 x 4 inch log.  Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. 

Cool on a baking sheet for 30 minutes.

Using a serrated knife, cut the log on the diagonal into 1/2-1 inch slices.  Transfer slices to the baking sheet, cut side down. 

Bake an additional 15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love herbs de Provence. This looks amazing!

Rebecca said...

These seem like the perfect thing to have with a nice big glass of wine!

elly said...

This looks great! I love savory biscotti and the goat cheese-herbes de provence combo sounds delicious.

eatme_delicious said...

I made this yesterday and LOOOOVE it. The texture is amazing. The edges are shortbread-like mmm. And I was so luck that I had just 2 oz of goat cheese (leftover from a 16 oz block)! Thanks for sharing this. :)

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS