Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread


So I am from the deep south. While I spent 6 years living in Atlanta (which I know people don't consider to be "the south" anymore) during my young adult years, I was born and raised in a semi-rural area south of Atlanta (which, incidentally is now a suburb. Gotta love that urban sprawl). Naturally, I have had my fair share of cornbread. Cooked with lard, in a cast-iron skillet cornbread. True, southern cornbread.

Well, let me tell you that this isn't it. No cast iron skillet, no lard (but plenty of butter). With mix-ins such as extra-sharp cheddar, jalapenos, and scallions. And it is my favorite cornbread ever. It is lighter and fluffier, and more...cake-like than typical cornbread.

In face, I have made it more than any other recipe from Barefoot Contessa at Home. But please don't make me turn in my sweet tea and monograms.

Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread
adapted from
Barefoot Contessa at Home
makes 12 large pieces, or 24 normal sized pieces

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
  • 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, grated
  • 1/3 cup chopped scallions, plus extra for garnish (3-4 scallions)
  • 3 Tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers (2-3 peppers)
Sift together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine the buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. Mix in 2 cups of the cheddar, the scallions, and jalapenos and stir until just combined. Do not overmix!

Allow the mixture to sit at room tempeature for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350, and grease a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish. Spread the batter into the baking dish, and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar and scallions.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly and cut into squares to serve.


4 comments:

Erin said...

I appreciate some good southern cornbread, but I've had my eye on this recipe for so long because it looks incredibly delicious!

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

I was born and raised in Texas and you are right this is not cornbread! However, it looks AMAZING!

Laura said...

Lordy, Lordy...this looks good. Will definitely be making this to go with my next big batch of chili!

Michelle said...

This is not only a GREAT cornbread recipe, but it also freezes beautifully. So when we have it one night with chili, I can pull it out a week later to have with Ina's Tortilla soup.

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS