Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pimiento Cheese with Bacon


Having grown up in the south, I am no stranger to pimiento cheese. No gathering was complete without little pimiento cheese sandwiches cut into circles with a biscuit cutter. I guess I always took them for granted, because I was thinking not too long ago how much I loved it, and how much I miss having them. I came across this recipe in Southern Living a few months ago, and I had been thinking about it ever since. Pimiento cheese = delicious. With bacon? yes please!

I am actually ashamed to admit that before making this, I had no idea how to even make pimiento cheese. Well, it really can't get any easier than this, y'all. Just shred some cheese, fry up the bacon, and mix in a few other ingredients. I've replaced the cayenne pepper for chili powder. For one thing, I'm a spice wuss, but I also like how the smokiness of the bacon and chili powder complement each other.

I have made this twice, and have served it with toasted pita both times. I've also eaten the leftovers as sandwiches... or straight out of the container with ritz crackers.... one of these days I will make the pimiento cheese burgers that were in the same article.

And lastly, I apologize for the terrible picture... I was trying to quickly snap some pics before the food table was attacked at the shower ;-)

Bacon Pimiento Cheese
adapted from Southern Living, July 2009

  • 4 strips of bacon, diced
  • 16 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 4-oz jar diced pimientos, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 Tablespoons grated onion
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Grate cheese and allow to stand at room temperature 15-20 minutes (this allows the cheese to soften, making it easier to mix in with the other ingedients. Then the flavors will meld together better. This is a good thing).

Stack bacon strips on top of each other, and dice (this is made easier if you freeze the bacon for about 15 minutes before you need it). Sautee in a nonstick skillet until done. Allow to drain on a paper towel. Reserve the fat for another use.

Stir together all the ingredients. Check seasonings, and adjust if necessary. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I would have never thought to put bacon in pimento cheese but it sounds great!

Anonymous said...

I saw that and wondered if it was as good as it looked. YUM!!!

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

Mmmm sounds great! I love all those ingredients!

Anonymous said...

I went to a wedding in the south and fell in love with Pimiento Cheese!I am afraid my family and friends would look at me like I had 10 heads if I tried to make it at home though! This looks like a great recipe, bacon makes everything better!

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good. Have you ever considered making bacon wrapped jalapenos with this as the stuffing? I bet it would be fantastic! I'm going to try it!

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS