Monday, July 6, 2009

Guacamole Salad


So guacamole is easily one of my favorite foods. I could seriously eat it by the pint. Of course, Ina would find a way to turn guacamole into a respectable side dish.... since apparently its not very kosher to eat it by the spoonful ;-)

I've made this many times, and every time its a little different depending on what I have on hand, and what I feel like eating that particular day. I still have some yellow tomatoes from the produce stand, so I added some in. And I also had some red bell pepper to use up so I subbed that for yellow.
Guacamole Salad
adapted from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa at Home
  • 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 large yellow tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded ad 1/2-inch diced
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup small-diced red onion
  • 1 Tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper, seeded (1/2-1 jalapeno)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2 inch dice
Combine the tomatoes, peppers, black beans, red onion, jalapeno, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlice, and cayenne pepper and pour over vegetables. Toss well.

Just before serving, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.

Serves 6.


3 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles said...

So colorful! I love it!

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic.

eatme_delicious said...

I'm with you, I could eat guacamole by the giant bowlful. I'm going to try this salad asap!!

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS