Thursday, July 2, 2009

Duo of Goat Cheese Bruschetta


So as we embark on a fun-filled holiday weekend, I wanted to make a nice snack for Joey and me to enjoy before dinner tonight. I had 2 different ideas, so instead of focusing, I just made them both!

A few months ago, I came across a recipe for strawberry and goat cheese bruschetta in Better Homes and Gardens. Well of course I no longer have that issue, so I just flew from the cuff. For the other bruschetta, I just wanted to let the tomatoes shine. I picked up the yellow tomatoes from a local farm stand this week, and the vine ripe red tomatoes are from my garden.

They were both delicous, but seriously, put goat cheese on anything and I'm sold. I think I actually preferred the strawberry version, but Joey liked the tomato one better. I'm just a huge fan of sweet and savory in general. In any case, we kicked off the weekend right with these, and a nice glass of white wine.

Now this is a very intense recipe, so pay attention.

Tomato and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
  • crusty bread, sliced on the diagonal
  • goat cheese (in log form, not crumbled), allow to come to room temp for at least 20 minutes
  • strawberries or tomatoes, sliced thinly
  • fresh basil leaves
  • kosher salt and pepper (for tomato only)
Toast sliced bread 2-3 minutes, until crispy but not browned. Spread goat cheese evenly over surface, and top with either tomatoes or strawberries and basil. Sprinkle tomatoes with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Josie, these look great. The tomato and goat cheese is my all time favorite bruschetta.
Do you think the strawberry ones would be good with a drizzle of either basil oil or maybe some honey? What do you think?

stevesmith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS